Aircraft

Aircraft

Aircraft became part of Hanworth during The Great War, when John Whitehead, needed an airfield for his factory in Richmond. 

John Alexander Whitehead MD of Whitehead Aircraft purchased Hanworth Park and the House in 1916 and quickly built hangers and other buildings. Trees were cut down to allow the aircraft to land and take off and the aerodrome was opened officially by the Lord Mayor of London. Many local men and woman were employed at Whiteheads during the war effort.

in 1917 a training school for pilots was set up by Whitehead.

When the war ended, aeroplane requirements stopped and Whitehead went out of business, mainly due to the government of the time owing him thousands of funds from his War contributions.

 

 

 

F.E.2B Bomber at Hanworth Park

 

Whitehead Trainer at Hanworth Park