1800 - 1899

Building of the new house commenced in 1798, and was to be known as Hanworth Park House. To help pay for the new house, the 5th Duke of St. Alban's commenced selling off part of his art collection. The Duke died in 1802 and his son, Aubrey, became the 6th Duke. He took out Bonds to help pay for his fathers lavish lifestyle and spending, and of course to pay for Hanworth Park House. In 1811 James Ramsey Cuthbert purchased part of the park and lodge, having leased it for some years previously. The 6th Duke died on 1815, and his brother, William, disputed the Duke's baby son as the next Duke, citing the Duke's wife's affair with someone called Seymour. The Duke's will had left the entire estate to his wife Louisa, who in turn left the estate to her sister, Laura Dalrymple. The 6th Dukes son became the 7th Duke, but he died very young in 1816, and William became the 8th Duke. Louisa died very shortly after her son, which in turn meant the estate passed out of the St Albans house forever. Laura, the new owner, lived at Little Park and was a Tollemache, before she married. Laura died in 1834 and left the estate to her niece, Lady Ailsbury, on the condition her mother, the Countess Dysart was to live at Hanworth for the rest of her life. The Countess died in 1840, and the estate was sold to Henry Perkins.

Henry Perkins was a partner in London Brewing company, and donated the land that the Village School was built on in Park Road. Algernon, his only surviving son took over the realms, when Henry died in 1855. Algernon was Deputy Lord Lieutenant for the county of Middlesex and a Justice of the peace. He paid for the Chancel and Spire which were added to St Georges and around the same time added the Clock Tower and West wing to Hanworth Park House, and made changes to the gatehouse in Uxbridge Road, and also built the Ice House, after which the area known as The Mount is named. Algernon died in 1872, and had no children to inherit the estate, so it was sold off at auction as per instructions of his wife Sophia.

Alfred Lafone purchased Hanworth Park House and the land that surrounded it. The library of rare books and manuscripts were auctioned in lots of 865 for £26,000.

Alfred Lafone was likened to one of his predecessors, Henry Perkins. He was wealthy and a partner in a Leather Goods firm in London. He also gave part of his land to the Church and had his family vault built on it. After his wife's death in 1885, he became an MP for Bermondsey. 

 

    

 

 

A Grade II Listed Building in Hanworth Park, London

Latitude: 51.4399 / 51°26'23"N

Longitude: -0.3987 / 0°23'55"W

Listing Date: 14 August 1953

Grade: II

2 storeys and tall basement. Stock brick, 11 French casements to both floors opening on to balcony, flat eaves, central open pediment with bargeboards, hipped slate roof. The balcony is of 2 storeys, 11 bays long built on to a stock brick open segmental arcaded basement of small arches over area, and is brought forward for the centre 3 bays and end 2 bays.

Ground floor with paired cast iron columns and iron trellis balustrading and central Portland stone tetrastyle fluted Greek Doric columned portico with frieze end cornice. Approach flight of 17 wide Portland stone steps with plain balustrades and cast iron lamps to base with round cast iron lanterns.

Rosette frieze above columns and cornice. 1st floor with cast iron trellis standards and panels, centre with stone piers. Similar rosette frieze above. West elevation has balcony on brackets to ground floor with verandah.

Interior is of simple Greek design, somewhat modified. The staircase is of the well type with cast iron balusters and with square central glazed lantern over. Grounds contain few trees.

1840

In 1840 Hanworth Park House and 463 acres were sold to Henry Perkins a partner of Barclay, Perkins and Company, brewers of Southwark. Henry Perkins died in 1855 and had two sons and two daughters, his first son had died in 1827 so Hanworth Park was inherited by his second son Algernon. His daughter Matilda married firstly her cousin Frederick Oswald Perkins who died in 1841 and secondly, in 1842 Major General Edward Richard Bagot, Commanding Officer of the 4th Royal South Middlesex Regiment. Bagot's name appears on the foundation stone of the Militia Barracks, Pears Road, built in 1854 and later converted into a sheltered housing unit. Henry Perkins' other daughter Selina married Lt. Col. John Scriven, who appears to have incorporated Bagot into his name, according to an inscription on the Perkin's vault in the churchyard.During the Crimean War, John Bagot Scriven was the Commanding Officer at the Hounslow Militia Barracks.

Algernon Perkins lived at Hanworth Park House, after his father's death. He was a Deputy Lieutenant for the County of Middlesex, and a Justice of the Peace. In 1865 he paid for the chancel and spire to be added to St. George's Church, and probably about the same time had the west wing and clock tower added to the house. Algernon Perkins died in November 1872 aged 64 and was buried in the Perkin's vault in the churchyard. He had no children to inherit so the estate was sold by auction in 1873 in several lots;-Mr. James Scarlet bought a portion of the Park, and built the present Tudor House in 1875. Mr. Alfred Lafone purchased Hanworth Park House, and the portion of the Park surrounding the house. 

James Scarlett lived in Tudor House until his death in 1903 when it was sold by auction.